Monday 11 March 2013

It’s ‘Naija songs’ night as Nigerian Idol’s Top 6 take to the stage


Top 6 contestants
Top 6 contestants
This week on Nigerian Idol, the top 6 took songs to from the current hits flooding the Nigerian airwaves, all by Nigerian artists.
Songs by Nigerian artistes was this week’s theme and contestant Efezino took on Seyi Shay’s single,  ‘Loving Your Way.’ Judging from the judges reaction, it was a good performance. Jeffrey Daniel said: “You were killing it on the chorus…a pleasant performance.” Yinka Davies followed up with, ‘It was more than pleasant I loved it!” And Femi Kuti gave his seal of approval, telling her that she seemed really comfortable on stage.

Moses took a risk and sang ‘Oliver Twist’ by D’banj, but his risk paid off big time. Yinka said with a dramatic flourish, “My people of the Democratic Republic of Nigeria, I have a confession… I love it!!!” Guest judge, Femi Sowoolu told him, “When I first heard the song choice I turned and asked Yinka, “wow can he carry it?”…With that performance, you [have proven] you are the biggest threat of the competition.”
The show turned the heat on the contestants up a notch, by pairing contestants with each other to sing duets. Efezino and Abasiakan were the first pair, singing ‘Comforter’s Song’ by Asa and Jeremiah Gyang.
Then came Debbie Rise and Moses—‘Bottom Belle’ by Omawumi and Flavour was their song of choice. Lastly, Sefeeyat and Jayfeel sang ‘Without my Heart’ by Tiwa Savage and Don Jazzy.
A review of the show reads:
Debbie Rise sang Chude K’s ‘Gaga’ and she got a standing ovation as Sowoolu told her: “The music industry is pretty intricate—your stage play is great, and with a name like Debbie Rise you’re half way there to being a star. I don’t think your voice quite
carried your song, I don’t see how that song works for a lady as beautiful as you.” Kuti was more lenient and told her, “You’re an
African girl; you’re beautiful, you’re sexy. Your performance was brave [and] you’ve got what it takes for as an entertainer. I’ll give you a
pass mark.”
JayFeel stepped onto the stage to sing ‘Azonto (Freestyle)’ by Wizkid. Daniel told him, “The Naija pop song, club and dance scene, they
are not really about vocal ability they are about entertainment, and you just gave us a great example of that.” Femi Sowoolu agreed, telling him “You hypnotised me. The juju wey you use hold my hand, must have been powerful because with all the other contestants who came out, I was writing notes!”
Sefeeyat sang Omawumi’s ‘If you ask me’. It seemed to please the judges. Jeffrey said to her, “You did a great job, your performance was
great. There were a couple of notes here and there, but overall, it was a nice performance.” Yinka agreed telling her, “I loved the way you sang that song!”
Raindrop by Tuface Idibia was the last song for the evening and it was Abasiakan who tried to do justice to the song. Yinka seemed to enjoy it
thoroughly telling him that she loved his vocal tone. Sowoolu told him that, “I heard about you before I came to this show—people told me that you were one of the best on this show. You kind of proved it; what I see in you is natural talent but you need to become supernatural.”
So there you have it. The six contestants have sung on the show, and for one, it will be his/her very last time as a contestant. Who will be the last contestant left standing?

No comments:

Post a Comment